spot_img

Ireland’s President Michael Higgins dissolves parliament beginning  general election campaign.

Published on

spot_img

Ireland’s president has formally dissolved the Dail parliament to mark the start of a general election campaign in the country.

President Michael Higgins began the start of a three-week long campaign today after Taoiseach Simon Harris previously revealed the date he hoped the country would head to the polls.

Mr Harris confirmed the polling date as 29 November on Friday, saying the “time is now right” to ask the Irish people for a new mandate.

The announcement brings to an end the four-and-a-half-year lifespan of the historic Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Green Party coalition government.

Taoiseach Simon Harris confirmed the election would take place on 29 November

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald, speaking after the announcement, said: “There is a clear choice, another Fine Gael or Fianna Fail government or a new government for working people, for families and communities, a government led by Sinn Fein.”

She also listed a number of her party’s policies, including to “advance the preparation for Irish unity”.

“The need for change has never been more urgent, we simply cannot afford another five years of the same government,” she added.

Sinn Fein were the second biggest party in the Irish parliament until the dissolution.

Ms McDonald said her party were putting forward 71 candidates.

After the 2020 general election delivered an inconclusive result, Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, two parties forged from opposing sides of Ireland’s civil war of the 1920s, agreed to set aside almost a century of animosity and share power.

The Green Party joined the administration as a junior partner.

Source:SkyNews

Latest articles

Bagbin approves release of MPs A Plus and Mustapha Yussif for NIB interrogation

The Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, has agreed to release two Members of Parliament...

Mahama sacks GCAA Director-General, appoints Ag. head

President John Dramani Mahama has dismissed Charles Kraikue from his position as Director-General of...

US Ambassador dismisses concerns over 10% tariff, reaffirms strong bilateral ties

In the wake of the Trump administration's recent trade policy shift, U.S. Ambassador to...

World Bank Clarifies: No suspension of projects in Ghana

The World Bank has decisively addressed recent rumors regarding the status of its projects...

More like this

Bagbin approves release of MPs A Plus and Mustapha Yussif for NIB interrogation

The Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, has agreed to release two Members of Parliament...

Mahama sacks GCAA Director-General, appoints Ag. head

President John Dramani Mahama has dismissed Charles Kraikue from his position as Director-General of...

US Ambassador dismisses concerns over 10% tariff, reaffirms strong bilateral ties

In the wake of the Trump administration's recent trade policy shift, U.S. Ambassador to...

Discover more from The Dot News

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading