Interior Minister,Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak, said Monday that three people have died following the collapse of an uncompleted three-story building in Accra New Town, as emergency crews continued searching for possible survivors beneath the debris.
The structure, located within the grounds of the Accra New Town Experimental Basic School and also used by a Christian congregation, gave way on Sunday. Initial reports had put the death toll at two, but authorities revised the figure after conducting what the minister described as extensive cross-checks with hospitals and emergency services.
Rescue efforts extended into the night, with personnel from the police, fire service, National Disaster Management Organisation and National Ambulance Service working under floodlights to reach those trapped.
Officials said 23 people were in or around the building at the time of the collapse. Of those, three—one man and two women—were confirmed dead. The remaining 20 have been transported to medical facilities, including the Police Hospital, Mamobi Polyclinic and a private hospital, where they are receiving treatment.
Mr. Mubarak said women and minors accounted for a large share of those affected. Fifteen of the victims are female and eight male, with seven identified as minors. None of the fatalities involved children, he added.
Authorities said determining the exact number of occupants at the time of the incident had been challenging, but coordinated data from responding agencies helped establish a clearer picture.
Emergency teams continued to comb through the rubble amid concerns that additional victims could still be trapped. Some individuals were reportedly heard calling for help earlier in the rescue operation.
The cause of the collapse has not yet been determined.
Source:TheDotNews

