Ghana plans to evacuate an initial group of 300 citizens from South Africa on May 21 following a renewed wave of xenophobic violence targeting foreign nationals, according to the country’s foreign affairs minister.
Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said the evacuation, approved by President John Dramani Mahama, would be financed by the government as authorities move to protect Ghanaians affected by the unrest.
The first group is scheduled to depart from O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg at 5 a.m. local time on May 21.
Mr. Ablakwa said the government authorized the immediate evacuation effort on May 12 after escalating attacks in parts of South Africa raised concerns over the safety of Ghanaian nationals living there.
Many of those slated for evacuation had previously registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria after the Foreign Affairs Ministry issued an advisory urging citizens in affected areas to seek assistance and possible repatriation support.
South Africa has experienced periodic outbreaks of xenophobic violence for years, with foreign nationals and migrant-owned businesses—particularly those operated by African immigrants—frequently targeted during episodes of unrest.
Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said it continues to monitor developments closely and pledged to take additional measures if necessary to ensure the safety and welfare of its citizens abroad.
Source:TheDotNews

